Smart Characters for Windows 3.0 ($179.95)
This topic compares Smart Characters
version 3.0 for Windows with Smart Characters for Students.
Smart Characters for Windows 3.0 requires a fast 386 or higher
with at least 4mb of RAM running enhanced mode Windows. Consider
purchasing or upgrading to Smart Characters for Windows 3.0 if
- More than 3 document windows open simultaneously (3.0 document
windows are limited only by Windows virtual memory).
- Paragraph and page formatting controls such as indents, borders,
tables, footers, footnotes, comments, automatic reformatting (word
wrap), page layout view editing mode, display zoom, multiple units
of measure, and named book marks and field codes such as Date
and Time, Page number references, etc.
- The Windows user interface and gadgets: toolbars, ribbons,
rulers, speed menus, etc.
- The ability to import (OLE client) objects (spreadsheets,
pictures, etc.) and hot links from other Windows applications.
- The ability to export (OLE server) editable text objects and
hot links to other Windows applications.
- Fluent mode for native speakers in which annotations are hidden
(but never discarded) and Chinese character input methods emulate
native word processors.
- Very high resolution printing obtained by installing the optional
Smart Characters DoubleByte TrueType font interface
accessory ($49.95 additional, fonts not included) and Japanese
and Chinese TrueType fonts available from font vendors.
- Very high resolution video as supported under windows. Resolutions
of two full side-by-side pages are practical on any system that
supports 1280x1024 or higher.
- Simplified printing and faxing, including support for all
printers (e.g., PostScript), color, vertical and right-to-left
text display and printing.
- Hierarchical user dictionaries and dynamic glossaries providing
simultaneous access to individual, group, departmental, and organization-wide
databases of common terminology.
- Integrated document format conversion without manual switching
and launching, including automatic gateways to machine-aided translation
applications (not included).
- 16 bit text to Chinese or Japanese speech synthesis (Smart
Characters for Students 2.9 supports Japanese text to 8 bit speech
- Device drivers with excessive real-mode memory requirements
that restrict DOS mode applications.
Unfamiliar with the Chinese or Japanese languages? See background information
for a discussion of the terms and concepts used in far east languages.
See also the Smart Characters product list for
a list of accessories, and the Smart Characters Order Form.
Apropos Customer Service home page 617-648-2041
Last Modified: August 28, 1996
Copyright © 1996 Apropos,