Use your PC to Master Japanese and Chinese
Going Beyond the Basics
You have just completed a sampling of what Smart Characters has to offer. Don't
stop here. There are many more happy hours to be spent exploring the word
processor alone. But first,
complete the installation(1-
registering your license. Here's a checklist of things to explore:
Locate and print the
Intermediate Tutorials and go through the lessons there:
- Explore the menus and dialogs using the help system by highlighting a menu
item and pressing F1, or selecting Help in a dialog box.
- Customize Smart Characters to avoid future conflicts when sharing
Installing a User Font(8-
- Get an Internet e-mail address and install the capability of sending and
receiving embedded binary files within e-mail messages, but avoid wasting hours
of time with excessive internet news group reading or indiscriminate Web
surfing! Use the Zip program to archive your
Zip archive file(D-
then e-mail the archive as an embedded binary file attachment to Apropos
Customer Service so we know your address. See
Updates via Email(11-
Transmitting User Characters(9-
and e-mail a Smart Characters document to a friend or to yourself at work or
home containing embedded
- Import and export documents in other file formats: send a
GB or HZ, traditional Big5, Japanese JIS, or Escape-JIS e-mail message to
someone. Turn off annotations and send a Chinese or Japanese fax to a friend.
- Import an interesting document from a Chinese or Japanese Internet news
group and annotate it by hand. Make a
from the unfamiliar words, practice the lesson, and read the document aloud
without annotations. Extract and add to the lesson any words you stumbled over,
and repeat. If you will be doing this frequently, consider the
ScAnnotate Automatic Annotator(11-
OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)(D-
)by embedding or linking objects into Smart Characters documents,
and embedding or linking Smart Characters text into other applications. Try
inserting a rectangle of vertical writing into the margins of a page.
- Reveal hidden codes by selecting View | Codes to invoke the
- Other input modes using the
object type codes(5-
^F ENGLISH Code.
- Use the Windows Character Map and the Alt+keypad numbers to insert
extended accented roman characters into your document, and observe the
- Use the
symbol set view(8-
window to find unknown characters in an interesting newspaper or magazine
article. Make a vocabulary list, then a lesson, and memorize the lesson, then
read the article again. Can you read it fluently?
- Consider whether to accelerate character lookup by installing the optional
radical and stroke(4-
dictionary, and/or a scanner plus a Asian language optical character
- Set up and customize the incremental match method of entering
hanzi, and explore installing your favorite front end processor.
- Optionally, install the Chinese
accessory. Experiment with selecting simplified characters using the
command, and by registering then changing the typeface names.
- Install the optional
DoubleByte TrueType Font Interface(13-
accessory, and install and use Asian language
Use Other Fonts(8-
and install fonts from other Chinese and Japanese word processors into Smart
- Open and examine the help file Sc\System\Sc_Help.doc, read
and create a
document. Consider installing the
unlimited file size editing(4-
accessory to be able to read and write any size file.
- Making a Vocabulary Lesson page 2.
- Search and Replace page 5. See the
- Extended Dictionary Searches page 18.
- Dictionary Editing page 19.
- Editing the Word and Phrase Dictionaries page 23.
End of Chapter 2C
This page is reserved for further examples.
Apropos Customer Service home
Last Modified: March 23, 1996
Copyright © 1996 Apropos, Inc.